Note: All permits are to submitted online now through our easy to use permitting tool Cloudpermit. We've put together a guide to better help you learn the new platform. 
View the guide

What does ‘Building' mean?

"Building" means,

(a) a structure occupying an area greater than ten square metres consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function thereof including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems appurtenant thereto,

(b) a structure occupying an area of ten square metres or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing appurtenant thereto,

(c) plumbing not located in a structure,

(c.1) a sewage system; or

(d) structures designated in the building code;

Construct is defined as to do anything in the erection, installation or extension or material alteration or repair of a building and includes the installation of a building unit fabricated or moved from elsewhere and "construction" has a corresponding meaning.

A model of a house being built and designed.
Building Houses
Hammer and nails on top of drafting plans.
Building Permits
A deck being constructed.
Decks, Porches, and Verandahs
A free standing garage.
Garages and Sheds
Laneway entering a property.
Entrance Permits
Wood cubbies to store files and information.
Property Records
A miniature house on a pile of draft papers.
Secondary Dwelling Units
A pile of sewage tubes.
Sewage System Installations
A fenced in outdoor in ground swimming pool.
Swimming Pools
Water flowing out of a tap into a glass.
Water Wells
An indoor wood stove with piles of wood on either side.
Woodstoves, Fireplaces, and Chimneys

Building permits vs Electrical Notifications: Here's what you need to know

If your project involves new electrical wiring or devices or repairing/replacing old ones, follow the law and do it safely. Having a building permit isn't the same as filing an electrical notification. You may need both! 

General contractors or qualified electricians are not permitted to perform electrical work unless they themselves are a Licensed Electrical Contractor (LEC) or are employed by an LEC. It's the law in Ontario that almost all electrical work must be done by an LEC. You can verify or find an LEC in your area at

Who is the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA)?
ESA monitors and enforces compliance with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code and the licensing of electrical contractors. Your municipality monitors and enforces compliance with the Ontario Building Code. These are distinct and separate processes.
File a notification of work with ESA.
Most electrical work needs to be reported to ESA by filing a notification of work (permit) within 48 hours of when electrical work starts. This also creates a permanent record of the electrical work. 
Request an inspection.
An inspection must be requested before the electrical installation is concealed. The process may vary depending on the project and scope of work.
Receive your Certificate of Acceptance.
This is an important document for resale, insurance and peace of mind. Only ESA can issue a Certificate of Acceptance for electrical work in Ontario. The certificate is issued to the notification holder once the review process is complete.

Electrical work is dangerous and can put people and property at risk. Leave your electrical work to an LEC who has the expertise, equipment, and training to do the job safely. Hiring the wrong person can result in major property damage, or even loss of life. For more information please contact the ESA: 1-877-ESA-SAFE or go to

Current Building Permit Fees 

Schedule A to By-law 2023-04-027

Effective May 15, 2023

Current fee table (per by-law)
Permit typesCurrent feeDetails
Base rate $130.00 Charged at application submission
Residence - New, Additions or Extensive Renovations (plumbing permit included) $0.44 per square foot
  $365.63 minimum
Residential - Accessory Buildings and decks $0.35 per square foot
  $130.00 minimum
  $0.04 per square foot for plumbing permit if required
Multi-Residential $0.47 per square foot
  $130.00 minimum
Solid Fuel Burning Appliance $130.00  
Commercial / Industrial - New Construction, Additions or Extensive Renovations (plumbing permit included) $0.71 per square foot
  $1,181.25 minimum
Commercial / Industrial - Accessory Buildings $0.47 per square foot
  $700.00 minimum
Agricultural - New Construction, Additions or Extensive Renovations $0.35 per square foot
  $548.44 minimum
Agricultural - Accessory Buildings $0.22 per square foot
  $130.00 minimum
Pools $0.35 per square foot
  $130.00 minimum
Demolition Permits $130.00 minimum
Transmitter Tower - 30 feet and under $390.00  
Transmitter Tower - over 30 feet $390.00  
Change in use permits $390.00


Deferral of Revocation of Permits $130.00  
Conditional Permit $520.00  
Authorization of Equivalents $325.00  
Certificate of Compliance per Section 15.5 of the Ontario Building Code Act, S.O. 1992, c.23 $200.00  
Commencing construction without a Permit Permit fee x2  
Sewer/septic permit fee table
Sewer/septic permit typesCurrent feeDetails
Class 2 systems (grey-water) $325.00  
Class 3 systems (cesspool) $325.00  
Class 4 (leaching bed, filter bed) $390.00  
Class 5 (holding tank) $260.00 per year
Investigations $130.00 per hour
Inspections and comments relating to sewage systems
Inspections and comments relating to sewage systemsCurrent feeDetails
For consents $300.00 for each new lot
Minor variance $84.38  
Plan of Subdivision $150.00 for each lot or block shown on proposed plan

Download a copy