The Township of Laurentian Valley Committee of Adjustment is the Approval Authority for applications for minor variance. A minor variance is a request for a change if what you are proposing to do doesn't conform exactly to the Zoning By-Law. This applies when the general intent of the Zoning By-Law and the Official Plan are still followed.

What is an example of a minor variance?

For example, you might want to locate something on your property but you are unable to meet the minimum setback requirements because of the shape of your lot. A minor variance does not change the Zoning By-law. It simply excuses you from a specific requirement of the by-law and allows you to obtain a building permit.

How to obtain a minor variance:

  1. You will have to apply by completing an [application form] to the Committee of Adjustment appointed by Council.
  2. Your request will need to explain how your proposed variance is minor in nature and why it is needed.
  3. A fee of $550.00 is required to be paid at the time of application in the form of a cheque.
  4. The Committee of Adjustment will hold a hearing and decide on your application. There is an appeal period – anyone who disagrees with the decision has 20 days to appeal the decision to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (LPAT).

Questions related to filing an application for Minor Variance should be directed to the Township Planning Department at 613-735-6291.

A copy of the Application Form can be accessed and downloaded online. For additional versions, please contact us at 613-735-6291.

Download the application form