October 24th 2012 Meeting Minutes

Township of Laurentian Valley Community Policing Committee Minutes –

Oct 23, 2012 Meeting

Attending; Keith Watt, Allan Wren, Marcel Marsan, Phil Saar, Charlotte Witt
Visitor: Jeffery Smith, Commander of Upper Ottawa Valley Detachment
Regrets: Kevin Leach

The minutes of Sept 19th meeting were approved on motion by Marcel, 2nd’ by Allan

Report: Allan reported he had made the request to Council to keep in mind we were looking for a few new members. If they knew of persons who may be of interested to join, they could simply ask them to contact The Twp office for more information.
Allan shared that he had made smaller membership posters and handed them to Marcel. Action Marcel to distribute posters at our list of locations. Allan also had copies of business cards for viewing and suggested he go through Staples who were currently running a special for business cards, 250 cards for $9.99. Agreed by all for Allan to order them on line and update at next meeting.

Old Business

1.) Lock It or Lose It Flyers – a few hundred left for distribution. Action: We will pass out flyer Friday Dec 7th at 630pm. Keith to contact Beth

2.) Bicycle rodeo – after action rodeo report from Charles Collicut, PCPC, was received and passed to Marcel for review. Action: Marcel to pass on to Phil, then to Charlotte etc.

3.) Bikes – after a brief review of our discussion concerning bikes for OPP patrol, the Commander suggested we stand down on this matter as they are dealing with program changes and final decisions are still unknown. Action: to review again next year.

New Business
1.) Created an agenda for our annual 2012/2013 plan keeping the perspective of raising the Committee’s profile to the public with our efforts. Three definite’s were decided.
- 1. Seniors presentation, tentative date of Feb 7th. Action: Phil to speak
to Mr Kennedy & confirm that date is acceptable. Action: Keith will
discuss the date & possible topic with Beth. The topic will be decided at
Dec meeting.
- 2. Bicycle Rodeo in May or June
- 3. ChIP program with Masons next June – Pembroke Airport’s 45th anniversary

- Action: At our Nov. meeting we will decide on one or two other events to be completed in March or April.

Possible suggestions include
- seat belt clinic,
- public meeting on bullying
- adopt a road
- distracted drivers
- and any other topic members wish to include.

2.) Statistics of crime and other violations within the Township were provided by Commander Smith, for members for review. The first was a Violation Report for month of Sept., while the other was a broader range of year to date offences.

Motion to adjourn by Allan

Next Meeting Nov 21, 2012